Saturday, December 15, 2007

Why I Want to be a Conductor

1) My standards are too high. Why is that? Tonight was the BBC SO under the baton of Alexander Vedernikov. He made the same "Oh! You're supposed to come in now, violins: I almost forgot to cue you!!!" facial expression as Hirokami. There were several points that made me wonder where the video camera was. You shouldn't look like you're acting. Yes, I know I have only seen 3 professional orchestras, but it pains me to watch anyone other than Sir Colin Davis conduct. When he gives the cellos an approving smile, he MEANS it. I wish I could have talked to him more. And that my camera would have worked. It would be very reassuring to be able to hear him encourage me over and over (I will eventually post a transcription of our brief conversation). Thus, my standards are too high. Either that, or I know what's good.

2) I would get to have my back to the audience. The man a few seats down from me was conducting along (off beat) quite ferociously. After the first piece, his friend took him out (sure, he was a bit mental, but then why would you even let him in if you knew he was going to or if there was the slightest chance of him doing that?)

3) The obvious reasons.

Not exactly a reason, but the woman next to me said to her friend, "We must have pretty good seats, huh?" She apparently didn't see the "restricted view" at the botton of her £8 ticket. She thought the piano was staying in the back corner for the piano concert. Whatever. At least she wasn't chattering on in French through the entire concert like the people behind me. Also, the LSO is better looking. Their audience is about 50 times better, as well. "Due to unforseen circumstances," BBC did not provide programs. We were given 1-page computer print-outs instead.

In short, I was not impressed. Oh, well. I get to see Sir Colin 2 more times. Hopefully 4 seats down from where I was today doesn't block my view.

P.S. Don't die, Findlay!

No comments: