Friday, December 14, 2007

The Trick to Eating Haggis


The deli owner man here is very nice. He informed me that he plans on visiting all 50 states next year. My answer: wow. That would take forever, would it not?

My battery has been taking forever to charge, so I'm living on 17% right now.

For all of you who are wondering: yes, I'm still alive. As I said, my laptop's been giving me trouble and I don't want to lug it around in search of places with free wi-fi.

I had the first two taxi rides of my life yesterday. One was to King's Cross. I was going to wait for the tube to open, but I was impatient (it hadn't opened yet). The other was to the B&B from Waverley (I couldn't find the #10 train). Far too expensive, but I was cold and impatient and didn't have a map.

I ate lunch at The Elephant House yesterday. That just happens to be where JK started writing Harry Potter (it's owned by her brother). Here is where the title comes into play: as I refused to go home without trying it, I ordered haggis, neeps, and tatties. Now, I have no clue what neeps are (actually, are they mashed turnips?), but all together the 3 were good. The trick is to not think about what you're actually eating, for it doesn't taste half bad. Actually, it was quite good. Afterwards, I spent some time in the Scottish Museum...or whatever it's called. I don't have my map or the map of the museum on me to be sure.

I think I spent about 45 minutes in an old bookshop in search of Berlioz-related books this morning. I left with Barzun's 2-vol Berlioz and the Romantic Century (I think that's the title) and Damnation of Faust condensed to 4 voices and piano (I bought it for the piano transcription of the Hungarian March). Also, I found some MacCowan's toffee, so all is right with the world.

I went to bed at 6 last night and woke up at 8:30 this morning. I think I have a cold or something. Ugh.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How Ashley, did you know that the auction of 'Tales of Beedle the Bard' was taking place yesterday and J. Rowling herself was in her home IN EDINBURGH watching the Sotheby's action live on the web. Right place, right time. Your meal looks great!