Monday, December 17, 2007

Angel of Music

He's haunting me...while absentmindedly whistlingish down the stairs to Charing Cross Station, I paused to fish my ticket out of my bag. What was playing on the PA system besides The Ball from Symphonie Fantastique? And what was I whistling? Yup, you guessed it; and I started well before I was within earshot of the speakers, mind you.

I sat in the complete and total back row of Her Majesty's Theatre, but it was worth it. I don't have a guess as to how much one individual performance of Phantom costs to put on. So much fire...It was interesting from my perspective, though: I could see the 136 trapdoors. I am very happy I have the entire show memorized word-for-word (minus the parts that are only in the actual production and not on the complete cast recording), for it was difficult to hear a couple of characters.

The man who was sitting next to me and I started talking. It's funny, what with starting small talk out with the topic of bottled water (he was from Fiji. He started it.). He was here for a conference at Cambridge. We were both in Edinburgh at the same time, as well. This was his first live stage production. Fun, fun.

On the way up the escalator I must have looked terribly depressed, for a very happy Andy-Haines-looking stylish British man descending on the escalator next to me said, "SMILE!!!" and continued on his merry way.

I wish I would have kept track of how many stairs I ascended and descended today. It's definitely well over 1000 1-way.

Whatever I do tomorrow will involve NOT spending money. Back to the National Gallery or V&A to sketch, I believe. I would have tonight, except I left my sketchbook here. Then concert...then no more Sir Colin for me :(

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure many of your friends will be impressed with your calf muscles when you return home. Not to mention your thighs!!!! And you're wondering why you're taking naps??????????? Oh, to be young again.....