Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Granada

Aside from what was possibly the most horrible illness of my life (I spent the entire free day and evening in bed meaning I missed a rehearal and 2nd concert), I had a great time in Spain. My sunburn is no longer visible (it wasn't that bad), despite two days of sitting by the pool. I bought nothing, but took plenty of photos.

The concerts took place outside in an open air auditorium at the Alhambra, which was a 10-minute walk from the hotel. They both began at 10:30 PM. Very long nights.

Thanks to everyone being together pretty much the entire time, I now know about half of the orchestra (c. 50 of 96ish members). I went to dinner with some new acquaintances on the free evening (Sunday). I noted that all of us were from a different country, or at least a different heritage- Tom is English, Moritz- German, Laurant- French, Chi- English, but with a Chinese background, Evgeny- Russian, and me, the token American. We apparently spent so much money that the server had the owner of the restaurant stand with us when I asked him to take our photo. We were also give a free drink and chocolate truffles.

The orchestra has a concert tonight at the Barbican. Yes, they just arrived back to London this morning. The concert is the same as last night's in Granada- Prokofiev PC 3, Firebird, and a couple Ives things. As I'm still recovering from my horrible whatever-it-was, I think I'm going to go back to bed for a while before rehearsal.

3 comments:

KMAD said...

Glad to see that you made it back to London. I hope that it isn't the swine flu. Take care of yourself. Miss you! <3

Aunt Wendy said...

Wish your time spent in Spain had been more enjoyable..Maybe food poisoning? More resting couldn't hurt. Glad your back in an English speaking country. How far are you from Wimbledon?

QOW said...

Nice night shot Ashley. Aren't there any other females there? What a shame there weren't more to grace the table. I'm glad you had a safe journey.