Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Great Expectations

I did not leave tonight's Royal Philharmonic Orchestra feeling very satisfied. Before I say anything about their playing, I will say that someone needs to donate some tuxes. Their off-white dinner jackets are absolutely hideous...especially when combined with white tux shirts, black bow ties, and black trousers. Not very attractive.

The concert began with the Barber of Seville Overture. It wasn't all that thrilling of a ride. Next was the Elgar Cello Concerto with none other than Julian Lloyd Webber, Andrew's little brother. He hit his head on a low part of the ceiling on his way onstage, adding to the impressiveness of his playing. The sounds that came out of his 1690 Stradivarius made up for his horrid outfit (he's not really known for his formal concert dress)- black trousers, a baggy mandarin-collared white shirt, and a black sweatband. I forgave him the second he began playing. The final piece was the Mendelssohn Symphony 3 ("Scottish"). The farther on in the piece they went, the better it became. Each time I listen to another orchestra, I realize that my love for the LSO will most likely not be surpassed by another band.

So that was my evening. Let me tell you about the rest of my day. While I'm at it, why don't I just give you an update of everything that's happened since my last post? Why yes, Ashley, why don't you? Ok, I will:

The rest of Saturday:
- Chris Williams, one of my professor/friends back at BG put me in contact with a friend of his here in London. She happens to be a music critic, novelist, biographer, and her husband plays in the London Philharmonic. We will be meeting up at some point in the coming week. The LSO sends out "thank you" emails to people who buy tickets online. The emails include reviews of the concerts. Said friend of Chris was the author of the included review for last Thursday's gypsy band concert!
- I introduced myself to Carmine, (the leader- i.e. concertmaster) telling him hello from the man who was sitting next to me at the gypsy concert. Yesterday, he took me on a little tour around the Barbican. Today, we grabbed a quick lunch after the rehearsal, as it finished a bit early.
- After dinner, I went to a housewarming party for a friend of a hostel friend. It was quite classy and much tasty cheese was to be had. I met many lovely people. I spoke some German with her downstairs Danish neighbor, whose French wife was incredibly sweet. The hostess, Lucia, kept saying that many of the guests sang in a choir with her. When people learned that I want to be a conductor, they all told me to go talk to the conductor of their choir. Apparently he's a big shot of sorts: Ivor Setterfield. I eventually introduced myself, and we spoke for quite a while. It turns out that he studied at RAM with none other than Sir Colin. He invited me to go to a rehearsal for one of the choirs he conducts. At the rehearsal, he would give me some music to prepare and give me 30 minutes or so to rehearse them at the next rehearsal while he observes and gives comments!

Sunday:
- LSO concert with George Fenton, a film/TV composer.
- Monopoly and socializing with flatmate and friends.

Yesterday:
- My alarm failed to go off at 8:30 as set. Luckily, my friend's phone was still set for work the day before. It was half an hour later than I wanted to get up, but at least I made it to rehearsal on time. That is saying quite a lot as I got violently lots backstage on the way. The door I had always used wasn't accessible. The other door led to many more doors, none of which wer marked. An employee walked through and saved me. I was told my many members that they've all been lost backstage at some point. After rehearsal, Carmine took me on a mini-tour of the Barbican.
- After rehearsal, I met Irene (BG friend) for lunch. I FINALLY found a pub that has Toad-in-the-hole! The waitress even commented on how delicious it looked when it was brought to me.
- In the evening, I went to a rehearsal for the choir with the people from the party- St. Bartholomew's Hospital Choir. I spoke to Ivor before it began...He meant for me to go to a different choir rehearsal- The New London Singers, a professional group. He invited me to join for my time here! Their website says they are not looking for new members. Oh, yes. Oh, yes. Despite my being at the wrong rehearsal, he said I was welcome to sing that night. It was their second rehearsal for a Shakespeare-themed concert (lots of Vaughan Williams)that will sadly be happening the week after I go back to the states. It felt fantastic to sing, again!
- After the rehearsal, I went to the pub next door with the woman whose music I shared and Lucia and friends I met at her party. I zoomed across town to meet Jerry, a BG friend, at Heathrow. I underestimated the insanely long transit time and thus arrived 20 minutes past his arrival time. I sprinted to the terminal from the tube stop. He was at the top of the steps as I reached them! Perfect timing, or what?

Today:
- My alarm didn't go off, again, but Matt's did, again. Saved two days in a row. This time, though, I did not get lost backstage.
- After rehearsal, which finished early, Carmine and I grabbed a quick lunch at the Waterside Cafe in the Barbican.
- After food, I met up with Jerry. We walked to my favorite tea shop, Tea, behind St. Paul's. I had some time before the RPO concert, so I took him on a lightning tour- walked to Trafalgar Square, ran through the National Gallery, and then to last night's rehearsal venue- St. Giles-in-the-Fields.

Tomorrow consists of 2 rehearsals, one of which is quite far away and not over until late....and there's a tube strike that isn't going to be resolved until Friday morning. This will be interesting.....Between rehearsals, I'll be meeting up with Jerry, again, for some grub and probably more playing tour guide.

3 comments:

Aunt Wendy said...

Glad you brought us up to speed..I really miss the days you don't write. Maybe your alarm problem is....did you bring the alarm from home??? It's on Ohio time, I bet if you waited 5 hours it would go off!!!!! Try setting the time 5 hours ahead and see if that works...Love You!!!!!

KMAD said...

I thought that maybe your alarm problem is that you have the a.m. and p.m. mixed up. Check to see if the alarm is is on a.m. at the proper time. Miss you!!! <3

Ashley said...

No, the time is fine- it's a British phone. I just haven't been hearing it....not loud enough. Love you both, too!