Saturday, June 20, 2009

Mountains und Bergs

I have finally been to my first professional opera! Chris Williams caught me at the perfect time today to talk me into going to the Royal Opera at Covent Garden to see Alban Berg's Lulu. 3:40 of German (with English surtitles and including 2 25-minute intervals). I survived.

This morning was a 3-hour rehearsal with Sir Colin. I went up and spoke to him during the break. He had me come up on stage and sit and talk until the orchestra came back. We had a nice little discussion about score preparation, Berlioz, and Mozart 40 (which the orchestra was rehearsing/is playing tomorrow night). I need to snag a picture tomorrow since I stupidly didn't today.

Last night, I went along to a recording session at Lyndhurst (much prettier than Abbey Road- it's a converted church). I sat in the box with the sound guys and the composer for 6 hours. The session was made exponentially more interesting by being able to actually hear and follow what was going on.

The next 2 weeks are going to be insane. I'm going to Granada with the LSO (!!!) on Friday, back the 30th. There's a concert that night. There's also a concert on the 25th, plus rehearsals, an LSO On Track concert, etc. etc. I will post as I am able.

L: Abbey Rd R: Lyndhurst. Others were taking pictures, so don't shoot me.

2 comments:

KMAD said...

I am pretty certain that before you leave London, Sir Colin Davis will remember you. Brush up on you Spanish. Have a great time and stay out of trouble. Love you!

Senor Jim said...

Tener una buena vez en España, Ashley. No se olvide de broche de un montón de fotos!