Monday, July 20, 2009

End with a Bang

Oh, Mahler, how draining you are. Before I get into the concert, I'll tell you about the rest of my day.

I woke up a bit late...I knew I'd need the extra energy tonight. Eventually, I packed for Norwich/Scotland/the Lake District. After that, I dawdled, then hopped on the tube to wander around Kensington. My wandering began with a saunter through the Victoria & Albert Museum. Last time I was there, I spent 3 hours in the musical instruments room (I pulled out every single cabinet, none of which I looked at this trip). Dragonetti's bass still impresses me with it's enormity. You could fit a modern bass inside it quite easily.

From there, I headed towards Royal Albert Hall/the Royal College of Music/Hyde Park. While walking past RCM, I noticed a sign announcing a pre-concert talk. Huzzah! Photos were snapped, then I went to Hyde Park for the first time. On my way back to the talk, I happened upon a few people gathered around something that seemed exciting. Then I saw what it was. A man had his 5 tiny puppies romping around! I happily sat down in the grass and played with them. The talk was entertaining and informative. After it finished, I walked downstairs. On the way, I almost started crying...it was very powerful to be in a building for the first time that I have thought about so much for the last 2 years.

Now onto the concert: The Royal Albert Hall was very nearly sold-out (there were a few empty seats and a couple of empty boxes). I got to my seat while the (huge) building was still relatively empty. Eventually an older couple sat on my right. I was highly confused, as I thought I could understand them, then I couldn't. I had an idea of what was going on, so I asked the woman what language they were speaking. Aha! It was Dutch! Thus it's sounding like German and messing with my head. We proceeded to talk for the next 20 minutes until the concert began. Both of them play viola in an amateur orchestra in Amsterdam. She is studying music. They were on holiday to London for a few days after she completed a little course in music at Cambridge. She told me about several historical concerts she'd witnessed with Haitink, Bernstein, and the Concertgebouw. The husband's viola teacher was in the Concertgebouw. Right before the concert began, she gave me her email address saying, "We can help you out if you ever come to Holland! We live only 45 minutes from Amsterdam and go to the Concertgebouw usually once a week." I have been very lucky with my concert-going neighbors this summer...many very interesting people. I will miss it!

I can only imagine how the players must have felt before, during, and after the performance. Carmine said it was very powerful to see the audience members' faces- some crying, some listening intently with closed eyes, all moved. Not long into the 1st movement, I already had tears streaming down my face. They let up for 2 and 3, but came back in 4. The worst, though, was saying a "final" "goodbye" (hopefully for only 3-months) to Carmine at the tube station. It was a very emotional ride home, as I kept thinking of different highlights from my time with them. I couldn't have chosen a better ending note for the summer. I'll see you all in October, if the powers that be approve.

Installation at the V&A, RCM, RAH and Albert Memorial in Hyde Park, puppies, RAH


Off to Norwich tomorrow morning until Sunday, then to Scotland. I don't know if I will be online between now and then...

No comments: