Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Bastille Day!

Well, I guess it's over now...at least in the UK. Still, it is a fitting title, as it was the title of tonight's choir concert program. Tonight was my second (and final) concert with the New London Singers at St. Martin's. The program consisted of the Durufle Requiem and motets, Poulenc motets, 2 Saint-Saens pieces, a short piece that's entirely hummed, and another piece in French. In other words, it was all composed by Frenchmen but was not, thankfully, all in French- Requiem/Motets=Latin, which is much easier to say/sing.

Sorry it's taken me so long to blog. Honestly, nothing much has happened since the last. The orchestra went to Germany for 2.5 days, so I stayed in and caught up on sleep, mostly. I did manage to go to my second RPO concert. It was interesting. Tchaikovsky 5 and the violin concerto, plus the premier of some relatively wretched Korean composition.

On Sunday, I went to an "Italian Procession." There's apparently a "Little Italy (VERY little)" about a 7 minute walk from here. Their church processes their statue of Mary around every year at the back of a long religious parade. It was interesting to see. They also had a lot of food vendors set up. Tasty!

Today, there was choir rehearsal at St. Martin's at 4, then the concert at 7:30. After, we went to the pub. A select few of us decided to move to another bar after being kicked out of that one...at 11 PM. It's on Whitehall in Westminster, so there's not really a demand to stay open any later. There was rehearsal for St. Bart's choir last night, as well. We also went to the pub after that. I had a great discussion about British cooking with one guy. The highlight of the conversation was when we were discussing Swedes, and how they're called "Rutabaga" in the states. "Isn't that a kind of car?" I was confused then said, "OH! You mean a Studebaker?"

That seems like a lot of stuff for having nothing to do...Tomorrow I'm going to see the new Harry Potter movie. They have showings all day from 9 AM at a nearby cinema, so I'll hit up one of them. Then in the evening, I'll be heading to the Barbican for an LSO Friends/Patrons event. Patrick (tuba) and Rinat (bass) are giving a little recital and a light dinner/drinks are being served. I was invited via letter to my house in OHIO because I've bought so many tickets. I think I'll have been to 25 concerts (not just LSO) by time I get home.

1 comment:

Aunt Wendy said...

Can't believe people here can see HP6 before you?? They're seeing it right now...and you SHOULD be sleeping now, so I can't figure that one out. Hope it's good and you enjoy it. Love You