Thursday, May 21, 2009

Sleep? What's that?


I did not get to bed at a decent hour as I had planned last night. I was checking my email in the basement lounge area before going to bed. A group of people seemed to be having a good time, so I asked to join them. Not long after, we had joined 2 tables together and had a group of about 15 people playing games. The hostel lounge closed, so we decided to go out and look for a place to hang. Everything seemed closed. We eventually ran into a British guy. Someone in our group decided to ask him if he knew of any open places. He was going to give us directions to an area that might have some open clubs, but we convinced him to come with us.

After walking for an eternity, we ended up in Angel, where we found what seemed to be the only open business remaining. It was packed. No matter, we took the giant group inside and had a blast!

When we finally got back to the hostel, I'd imagine it was about 2:30. I felt energetic due to the cold, noise, and walking allover, so I was not ready to sleep. Adam invited me to go up on his roof, which has a breathtaking view of the city. It might be better than St. Paul's view in that you can see St. Paul's.

Today I woke up at 9, had breakfast, and then wandered to Trafalgar Square with Brian, a new friend from Illinois/Pennsylvania. We started out at Trafalgar Square/National Gallery. After a quick lunch at Pret, I returned to the hostel for a nap. We met up later to go to Evensong at Westminster Abbey with the Archbishop of Canterbury presiding. The choir was beyond words.... I shook the Archbishop's hand after the service! If you are unfamiliar, he's kind of like the pope of England...except without the whole Catholic thing.

I'm FOR REAL going to sleep, now, with no intentions of waking before 9 AM.

No comments: