Wednesday, May 20, 2009

No tourists here!

Day 1 and I have already been asked for directions. I was able to successfully help her, as well! I also made it the whole day without taking a nap, which impresses myself.

When I walked into my hostel room (after dragging my suitcase up a couple small and one very large flight of stairs), my neighbor immediately introduced herself. Her name is Amelia, and she is from Portugal. We ended up walking down to Fleet St. where I bought myself a pay-as-you-go T-Mobile phone. We finished up there just in time to get to St. Paul's for choral evensong. They just so happened to be installing the new Bishop of Kensington.

While leaving the cathedral, Amelia said that she would cook dinner for us both. She made a very tasty, yet simple, vegetarian spaghetti with tomatoes, portobello mushrooms, and some sort of healthier-than-white-flour pasta. Tasty. I will buy her a meal some day in exchange. She'll be here longer than I will, as she (and everyone else in my hostel room- an Italian, a German, and a girl from New Jersey) is job hunting. She introduced me to traditional Portuguese music, as well, which was quite spiffy.

When I get enough pictures to make it worth the effort to put them on my computer, you will see some of them here.

Tomorrow, I think Amelia wants to go to some galleries in Camden in the afternoon. Before that, I might hop to the other side of the city and get some trumpet-practicing in. I need to buy a pair of comfy walking shoes, too...(you were right, dad...)

Correction: The Archbishop of Canterbury is presiding at the Ascension service at Westminster Abbey tomorrow. New plans.

5 comments:

Josh said...

I wonder if it's possible to Google Map your journey......though I also wonder if I'm the only one who'd find that interesting....alas, happy travels and keep writing!

also, Arsenal play Stoke at home (I think) at 4pm on Sunday....you should go ;)

Aunt Wendy said...

You haven't mentioned the weather so it must be cooperating. Get a small container of baby powder for your purse, if you don't wear socks or hose it helps with friction.

Craig said...

Its cool to be so "at home" while so far away.

Ashley said...

Josh, it would lead you on a crazy path all over the place...especialyl today. Lots of backtracking and circles. I see Arsenal stuff everywhere, now that I don't have to hunt for something for you, anymore!

Aunt Wendy- yes, it's great! Today was really warm. I stupidly brought my jacket with me in anticipation of the constant warm/cold/warm of yesterday. It was hot the entire day.

Craig, that is SO true!!! I absolutely love it here. This hostel honestly feels like a home away from home. I have met a whole bunch of absolutely amazing people.

KMAD said...

You are one of the amazing people that they have met!