Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Horton Hört ein Hu!

14 hours after my initial departure, I have finally arrived at the hostel that will be my "home" for the first 2 weeks of my trip. Check-in isn't for another hour. And they don't have a lift. Despite this minor flaw, this was, by far, the most positive trip across the pond I have yet taken! Please allow me to recount some of the highlights.

There was no one in line at check-in or security at Toledo (perhaps because it's, well, Toledo). Of course, I just had to set the alarms off at security. I don't really mind, as I know it's the gold bracelet that cannot comfortably be removed from my right wrist. In other words, I'm eternally going to set off metal detectors, because it's not coming off. Anyhow. I spent however long Brahms 2nd Symphony is listening to Brahms 2nd Symphony while making some marks in my score of the same. As I took my headphones off, who should walk through the gate through which I would soon be departing, but Mr. Reece. We chatted for a bit, then he went on his way.
The puddle jumper to Chicago was an unexpectedly smooth flight with very few passengers.

During the 45 minute flight, I ready a fair amount of the first volume of Cairn's Berlioz autobiography. I spent most of my THREE hour layover at O'Hare doing the same. I sat at my departure gate the entire time, despite another flight preparing to leave as I arrived. Nonetheless, I arrived at the right time: some of the American Airlines people were passing out free (tasty) cake for customer appreciation!

On one of the walls in Gate K12 is a large collection of payphones. One of them rang while waiting for my plane. One passenger wondered if it was James Bond. Alas, he did not answer, so we do not know. He eventually struck up a conversation with me when he saw that I had a trumpet. He does not "play" an instrument, but he "practices" violin. Interesting concept.

My neighbors on the plane were a friendly couple from Omaha. The husband is in the US military and is currently stationed in the middle of nowhere slightly west of Cambridge. She played horn for 14 years (she said through high school, but that would mean she started when she was 3...). My neighbors across the aisle were speaking German. Hearing them talk inspired me to switch my TV to German. One of the movie options was the title of this blog post. I thought it was amusing.

I have saved the most surprising for last: The UK border agent was NICE! I still don't understand. Perhaps it was because I was visibly excited to be here. For a millisecond, I was vaguely disappointed that she didn't ask me for any of the paperwork I had brought to prove myself to her. Instead, she just said, "So what do you study, then?" Musicians are apparently not suspicious at all.

I will most likely spend the rest of the day lounging around. My feet hurt from the trek down King's Cross Road, etc. etc. During the ride from Heathrow to the City, I decided that I'm going to take a few random daytrips; perhaps a couple before the first LSO concert on Sunday. I really want to go to Salisbury Cathedral, as I love all of Constables paintings...We shall see.

I have no idea what world my computer is in. It is 1:41 here. My computer says that it is 7:55.

3 comments:

KMAD said...

I am so happy that you arrived safely. Have fun and be safe.

Aunt Wendy said...

I almost thought the title of your first posting was "Horton hears a Who"... Guess my German isn't what it use to be. Have fun!!!

Ashley said...

No, you're right, Aunt Wendy. It's just the German title for the movie (book).