Friday, June 4, 2010

Sunshine and Water Guns


-unfortunately not on the same day. Tuesday night was the "Cannonball Run" with the City Hash House Harriers. If I haven't already told you about "hashing," please allow me to elaborate. In short, it's a running club. The starting/ending point is some pub, previously determined by the "hare/s" who marked out the course. We all meet there, drop our things, run all over the place, then ideally all meet back at the pub at vaguely the same time.

The trail is kind of like a treasure hunt. If you're at the front of the pack, you are the first to come to checkpoints. They generally fall in the middle of an intersection with no indication of which way the trail goes from there. To let the slower people catch up to them, they have to spread out and find the next leg of the trail. Sometimes the trail they find is a huge loop. The slower people spot them towards the end of the loop and take the shortcut. It's crazy.

As for the Cannonball Run- it was a reenactment of the Siege of Badajoz from the War of 1812 with water gun/cannon arms. We even had uniforms with our names on them. The one major downfall of the night was that it was freezing cold and raining. The rain meant that no one cared if they were pummeled by water guns. The cold meant the last hurrah at the top of a manmade hill was quite bitter.

I was called on at the semi-last minute to turn pages for the Bart's Chamber Choir Brahms' Requiem concert at St. Martin's last night. I also sold programs and CDs. I was highly amused by all of the Americans in attendance who kept saying, "I don't know how your money works here."

I seem to have not written anything about the NLS party last week. Epic. I was not-really-self-designated Pimms overseer. There were more people at the party than the concert. I ballroom danced to 80s rock.

I also haven't mentioned the hash gathering last Sunday. 10 or so of us met up at Clapham Common (a park in South London) to enjoy an absolutely beautiful day. We played cards, Rounders, and other random games. During Rounders, I was hit in the ankle with a line drive.
The LSO just returned from Spain. I obviously didn't make it to the HÃ¥kan Hardenberger concert last night, and I also didn't make it to rehearsal this morning. I needed the rest!

Not sure what I'm going to do with myself today. Tomorrow is a hash gathering at Hyde Park.

1 comment:

Aunt Wendy said...

So happy to see your Blog is back up and working. Know you're busy and having fun, but like to read the stories and share them with others. Love you!!!