Thursday, June 10, 2010

Strings 'n Things

I realize that I failed to mention that I went 6 consecutive days of eating at least one meal of Indian food. It all ended with my first trip to Brick Lane with Jenny, one of my flatmates. After looking through the markets, we needed some grub. Although she can't really eat Indian, she said we had to to 1) keep up my pattern and 2) because we were in Brick Lane. It took us about half an hour to decide which place to go, as there were people outside of each harassing us with discounts.

We made a good choice: free bottle of wine AND 30% off our final bill. This equates to £10/each for main, rice, naan, and wine. Unfortunately I made the mistake of ordering Madras, aka the 2nd spiciest thing on the menu. I magically managed to eat half of it, but this required me drinking 2 pints of water (I could have easily done away with another 1 or 2).

I attempted to order my ticket for Royal Ascot yesterday but it didn't go through. I tried again today. It worked. I called in the middle of typing this just to make sure. The phone call also made me realize that I NEED to get a new higher-quality UK mobile. I had to ask the clear-speaking Englishman to repeat nearly everything he said because my phone doesn't have volume controls. But as for Ascot: You have my word that there will be many, many, many pictures. Many of them.

I'm meeting a friend for dinner at 5, then an exciting LSO concert at 7:30- Shostakovich Symphony 6, Dvorak Scherzo Capriccioso, and Britten's violin concerto (with a substitute soloist who stepped in only days ago to replace an ailing Janine Jansen). Highlight of today's LSO rehearsal: Sir Mark Elder calling Joost, "Toast." I didn't hear what he said after that, but the whole band was laughing.

I FINALLY went inside of the Royal Courts of Justice yesterday. It's nice and all, but I have to say I was a wee bit disappointed that the outside is much more decorative. There was very little color inside, the paintings were grimy....but there was a room full of historic costumes which vaguely made up for the aforementioned faults.

1 comment:

Aunt Wendy said...

I knew you had more tales to tell!!! Enjoy the concert...will be anxious to hear all about Ascot when the time comes.