Thursday, August 20, 2009

Home on the Range

I have been told that my posts are missed. If you really want to hear about my day-to-day happenings in Bowling Green, Ohio and the surrounding area, I guess I can fulfill your wishes. The other option is you donate so I can go back to England ASAP!

I do realize that I didn't tell you about the final night and my homecoming experience.

The night before my return, I went to the 2nd to last rehearsal of St. Bart's Choir before their concert (which was yesterday). It happened to be Ivor's birthday. There also happened to be a horrific gas leak somewhere in the area outside of the church (which is right on Covent Garden). Instead of evacuating us, the authorities locked us inside. No matter, my post-rehearsal plans of meeting the Exmouth Market gang at the choir's pub-of-choice was not disrupted. In fact, I'd say it was quite a success, although I have to admit that I cried the entire tube ride back to Gloucester Square. I know I've apologized a ton already, but: I'm sorry I was such a wreck, Jonathan!!!

I was luckily given a very sweet German Methodist minister as a seat neighbor for the cross-Atlantic flight. We chatted a bit on the plane (in English- he had to brush up for a conference in Tennessee). When we got to O'Hare, he helped me with my overhead bag. This is no small feat- it was stuffed of all of the programs from the summer concerts (i.e. VERY heavy).

At Immigration, the officer asked me how long I was out of the US. Slightly shocked at such a large number of days, he asked me if I was studying. I informed him that it wasn't- I was observing the LSO thanks to the help of some friends in the orchestra. "For 3 months (uh-oh)?" "I'm studying to be a conductor." "Well, that sounds like the best kind of lesson." FINALLY- someone who understands!

Holger (German friend) and I met again up at baggage claim. My bags were in the very last load off of the plane, but he patiently waited with me the entire time. Next was customs. All the officer did was take our filled-out cards. He didn't even look at them! As both of our connecting flights didn't leave until 4, we passed the time in one of the airport restaurants. Not that there was a load of time- it took us over 2 hours to go through immigration, baggage, customs, re-check baggage, and re-go-through security.

A bit after 3, I walked to the area Jordan where and I had decided to wait for each other. In case I failed to mention this earlier, Jordan and I both arrived in London the same day in May. We met on our first night at the hostel. We happened to be chatting online- when both of us were in Germany- when we discovered that we would both be flying home the same day with a layover at the same time in the same airport!!! Crazy, no? Jordan's final destination was home on the West Coast. I was afraid he wouldn't get there in time, but he had better luck in security/immigration/etc. We talked for about 20 minutes before I had to board the puddle-jumper to Toledo.

I move the rest of my things- and myself- to the apartment in BG Saturday morning. I still need to make a couple of phone calls, one of which will determine whether or not we get internet...I should get on that...

Part of the Exmouth Gang: Matty and Adam
Hostel Buddy, Jordan

1 comment:

KMAD said...

I cannot believe that it took me so long to see this. I learn more from your post than in person, so, keep posting. Grama will be happy, Grandma D., too.