Wednesday, July 25, 2012

5 Countries in 4 Days

For those of you who aren't on Facebook, I will give you a brief update of my travels from the US to Europe:

My plane from Toledo to Chicago was early, but the plane at the gate before us had to be towed.  We were told it would be a 5 minute wait, but it was 20+.  Therefore, I missed my connection to Orlando.  Luckily, the American Airlines lady was able to get me on a direct flight from Chicago to London Heathrow.  The problem with this, though, is that my luggage had somehow made it onto the plane to Orlando, and would thus land at Gatwick the next morning, 2 hours later than I would arrive at Heathrow.

I didn't hear from AA until I made it to Germany Friday afternoon.  My luggage went back to Chicago, then was flown to Heathrow, where it will be waiting for me when I return in August.

Saturday, Herbert and I drove his new RV to Lago di Garda, Italy.  While Google maps said it would be a 5 hour trip, we ran into traffic...pretty much all the way there.  The return trip Tuesday made up for it with smooth sailing.

We visited Riva, Ledro, Lazise, and Bardolino.  Lazise still has the old city walls, surrounding the old buildings, shops, cafes, gelateria, and harbor.  Bardolino has a wine named after it, and a nice old part of town which is also, of course, right along the lake.

We swam in Ledro and Bardolino, as well as a lake in Germany when we made it back Tuesday...though that was a very short swim.  Actually more of a "walk" in my case.  Germany saw freezing temperatures in the mornings while we were basking in the Italian sun.

Also in Germany on Tuesday, we decided to see Neuschwanstein.  Unfortunately, most of the castle was wrapped up for repairs.  Instead, we went up the Tegelberg (a mountain) in a cable car, then hiked up a little farther on foot.  It was a perfect day to be up in the mountains...

Dinner was traditional German cuisine at the local eatery, paired with a hefeweizen from a nearby town.

Today, I am off to explore the town.  It's cloudy, but warm, so I will plant myself somewhere and draw.
---
Wed - US; Thurs - UK; Fri - Germany; Sat - Austria, Italy
---
Off I go!

3 comments:

Aunt Wendy said...

All the pictures on FB are fantastic. A nice way to relax before school starts. I'm sure your sketchings will one day become a Coffee Table Book. Aunt Wendy

Vickie said...

And the Adventure begins....have fun!!

Ashley said...

Thank you, both! There was a brief scare today when I temporarily lost my sketchbook (which only has one sketch in it, so far), but all is well, now. It didn't take long to find.